Raleigh Divorce Lawyers

If a North Carolina minor’s parents have passed or otherwise are unable to care for them, a guardian can be appointed for taking care of the child as well as their assets. Guardianship usually continues until the minor turns 18 years of age.

There are three types of guardianships in North Carolina:

  • Guardian of a Minor Person – This type of guardian oversees the child’s care, safety and other issues relating to physical care.
  • Guardian of a Minor Estate – This type of guardian oversees the estate and finances of the minor.
  • General Guardian – This type of guardian has the responsibilities of both the person and property.

In North Carolina, the court appoints a guardian after a guardianship petition is filed. Anyone has the ability to file a petition, but if both parents are dead, the petition is filed with the clerk of the superior court of the minor’s county of residence. If either parent is living, the petition has to be filed in the civil district court of the child’s county of residence.

If you need guidance in this matter, get started today by calling 919.573.4855, completing our online contact form or scheduling a consultation through our website.